Worksite benefits are designed to help bridge the gap between the cost of treatment for a serious illness or disabling accidents and the actual payment by major medical insurance. Heart attack, stroke, cancer and other illnesses can affect not only your health but also your bank account-medical expenses reportedly lead to more than half of all bankruptcies in the United States. When faced with a severe illness and the accompanying medical costs, supplemental insurance can help relieve the financial burden so you can focus on recovering your health.
Key points to consider:
- Selected and paid for by employees, providing them a cost-effective way to expand group benefit plans at no additional cost to the employer.
- Allows employees to purchase individual insurance at group rates.
- Typically offered as a pretax deduction under the Cafeteria plan, saving the employer and employee tax dollars.
- Generally portable if employees leave employment or retire.
- Usually available on guarantee issue basis.